There is no required text. A set of class notes will be provided. You may obtain the newest version of the lecture notes from http://csie.ncnu.edu.tw /~yshan/welcome.html. The following is a list of recommended texts:
1. Channel Coding for Telecommunications, Martin Bossert, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
2. Turbo Codes—Principles and Applications, B. Vucetic and J. Yuan, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000.
3. Error-Control Coding for Data Networks,
Your final grade for the course will be based on your performance in a final project report on a problem in the coding theory research area, and a 30-minute oral presentation on your report. Since it is an advanced course for which the objective is mainly to provide you with the necessary background on underlying communication theories, you will be asked to attend every lecture.
1. Linear block codes
2. Maximum-likelihood soft-decision decoding for block codes
3. Convolutional codes
4. Concatenated codes
5. Sequential decoding for convolutional codes
Introduction to Binary Linear Block codes(pdf file)